WASHINGTON RENEGADES RUGBY FOOTBALL CLUB
A Nonprofit Corporation of the District of Columbia
ARTICLE III - MEMBERS
(adopted 4 June 2000)
SECTION 1. DETERMINATION AND RIGHTS OF MEMBERS
The corporation shall have one class of members. No separate class of membership shall be created by the acts of any officer of
this corporation, or by the Board of Directors. No member shall hold more than one membership in the corporation. Except as
expressly provided, or authorized by the Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws of this corporation, all memberships shall have the
same rights, privileges, restrictions and conditions.
SECTION 2. QUALIFICATIONS OF MEMBERS
Any person who meets the requirements for membership specified in Section 3 of this Bylaw is qualified to become a member of this
SECTION 3. ISSUANCE OF MEMBERSHIP
Applicants shall be admitted to membership upon:
Making written application thereof.
Payment of all or a portion of the annual dues as specified in Section 4 of this Bylaws.
Signing a written agreement to support the mission of the organization and to adhere to the organization's policies and
All persons meeting each of the above-mentioned criteria shall be deemed "Members in Good Standing" of the Washington Renegades
RFC, and shall remain so, barring default of one of these provisions, death, or action by the Board of Directors rescinding or
abridging such status.
Waivers to Paragraph A.2 of the above-mentioned requirements for membership may be granted by the Board to members, or
prospective members, on a case by case basis. Waivers shall be limited to those members who are experiencing significant
financial hardship or other exceptional circumstances.
SECTION 4. FEES, DUES AND ASSESSMENTS
No fee shall be charged for making application for membership in the corporation.
The annual dues payable to the corporation by members shall be in such amount and allowable at such periodic installments as may
be determined from time to time by resolution of the Board of Directors.
Memberships shall not be assessable.
SECTION 5. NUMBER OF MEMBERS
There is no limit on the number of members the corporation may admit, unless such limit is set by the Board of Directors.
SECTION 6. MEMBERSHIP RECORDS
The corporation shall keep a membership registry containing the name and address of each member, together with the date of
termination, if applicable, of such membership. Such records shall be maintained by the Treasurer and made available to any
Director, Officer, or member as provided for in these Bylaws.
The registry of members' names and addresses shall constitute the membership list of this corporation, and its use, in whole
or in part, is prohibited for any purpose not reasonably related to the individual's interests as a member.
SECTION 7. NONLIABILITY OF MEMBERS
A member of this corporation is not, as such, personally liable for the debts, liabilities, or obligations of the corporation.
SECTION 8. NONTRANSFERABILITY OF MEMBERSHIPS
No member may transfer for value a membership or any right arising therefrom. All rights of membership cease upon the member's death.
SECTION 9. VOTING
Members voting rights shall be as provided for in Article IV, Section 7 of these Bylaws.
SECTION 10. INSPECTION OF CLUB RECORDS
Members' rights to inspection of club records shall be as provided for in Article IX, Sections 4 and 5 of these Bylaws.
SECTION 11. TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIPS
A member may resign from membership at any time upon written notification to a member of the Board of Directors. Resignation
shall not relieve the member from any obligation for charges incurred, services or benefits actually rendered or dues arising
from contract or otherwise.
Expulsion, Suspension, and Termination of Membership
A member may be expelled or suspended and a membership may be terminated based on either of the criteria of subparagraphs (1) and (2):
- A determination by the Board of Directors that the member has engaged in conduct materially and seriously prejudicial to the interests or the purposes of the corporation.
- A failure to renew membership by paying dues on or before their due date, such termination to be effective thirty (30) days after a written notification of delinquency is given personally or mailed to such member by the Treasurer. A member may avoid such termination of membership by paying the delinquent dues within a thirty-day period following receipt of notification, or by taking other action acceptable to the Board of Directors.
- Procedure for Expulsion Under Subparagraph B(1):
Following an initial finding that a member may be subject to expulsion under this provision, the Board of Directors shall:
- Send notice by first-class or certified mail to the last address of the member as shown on the corporation's records, setting forth the finding for termination of membership and the reasons therefore. Such notice shall be sent at least fifteen (15) days before the proposed effective date of termination.
- Give the member subject to expulsion an opportunity to be heard, either orally or in writing, at a hearing before the Board to be held not less than five (5) days before the effective date of the proposed expulsion. The notice of proposed expulsion shall state the date, time, and place of such hearing.
- Decide, following the hearing, whether or not the membership should, in fact, be terminated, the member suspended or sanctioned in some other way. The decision of the Board shall be final.
- Refund dues already paid to any member expelled from the corporation. The refund shall be prorated to return only the unaccrued balance remaining for the period of dues payment.
- Method of accrual shall be as set forth by resolution of the Board of Directors.
SECTION 12. RIGHTS ON TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIP
All rights of a member in the corporation shall cease on termination of membership as herein provided.
SECTION 13. AMENDMENTS RESULTING IN THE TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIPS
Notwithstanding any other provision of these Bylaws, if any amendment of the Articles of Incorporation or of the Bylaws of this corporation would result in the termination of all memberships, then such amendment or amendments shall be effected only in accordance with the provisions of Title 29 of the District of Columbia Code.